APRIL 20 - Today in Food History
• National Pineapple Upside Down Cake Day
(Pineapple Upside Down Cake History -- Recipe)
• National Banana Day (April 20, 2022 - 3rd Wed)
(Banana Trivia and Facts)
• National Lima Bean Respect Day (Lima Bean Trivia)
• [Bermuda Peppercorn Ceremony] (April 20, 2022 - usually held on the Wednesday closest to St. George’s Day, April 23). A major annual ceremonial event in St. George, when the Governor officially receives one Peppercorn from a Freemason official. In 1816 Bermuda's capital moved from St. George to Hamilton City. The old stone State House, built in 1619, was given to the Freemasons for an annual rent of One Peppercorn.
• Egg Salad Week in 2022 is April 18-24 (week after Easter, March or April) Dedicated to the many delicious uses for all of the Easter eggs that have been cooked, colored, hidden and found.
On this day in:
1770 Marie-Anne de Cupis de Camargo died. Born in Belgium, this ballerina danced with the Paris Opera. Escoffier named many gourmet dishes in her honor.
1821 Franz Karl Achard died (born April 28, 1753). A German chemist, he developed the first commercial process to produce sugar from sugar beets in 1796, and in 1802 established the first sugar beet refinery.
(Beets & Beetroot Trivia -- Beet Recipes -- Quotes)
1826 Peter Barr was born (died Sept 17, 1909). Scottish horticulturist popularly known as the “Daffodil King” for his work studying and popularizing this spring flower.
1841 Edgar Allan Poe's 'The Murders in the Rue Morgue' was published, the first modern detective story.
1894 Joseph Delteil was born (died April 16, 1978). French writer and poet. Also wrote 'La Cuisine palolithique' (1964) featuring ‘cuisine naturelle’ using unprocessed foods.
1912 Bram Stoker died. (born Nov 8, 1847). Author of 'Dracula' (1897). (Blood Trivia and Facts)
1968 'Honey' by Bobby Goldsboro was #1 on the music charts.
1987 The U.S. Postal Service issued its first 'special occasion' stamps, including 'Happy Birthday' and 'Get Well' stamps.
1999 The Disney film 'A Bug's Life' was released. It was the first 100% digital DVD. It was transferred directly from the digital source to DVD.
2010 An explosion and fire destroyed the Deepwater Horizon oil rig 40 miles off the Louisiana coast in the Gulf of Mexico, killing 11 men. The subsequent oil spill (over 200 million gallons) was the largest marine oil spill and environmental disaster in U.S. history.
2020 Coronavirus: Only 14 movie theaters were open last week in U.S. and 13 were Drive-Ins.