See also: Hunger
FOOD & POPULATION FACTS
When the first census was taken in the U.S. in 1790, 95% of Americans lived on farms or in villages with a population of less than 2,500.
Estimated U.S. population on July 4, 2010 was 309.6 million. (US Census Bureau, 2010)
31.7 million people in the U.S. live alone, thats about 27% of all households. (US Census Bureau, 2010)
- In 1700 approximately 20% of the world's inhabitants lived in Europe (including Russia).
- In 1913, 33% of the world's population lived in Europe and North America.
- In 2003 the combined populations of Europe, Canada and the U.S. accounted for only 17% of world population.
- By the year 2050 this figure is expected to be just 12%.
- In 2010 for the first time in history a majority of the world's population will be living in cities.
- In 1950 that figure was about 30%, and by 2050 more than 70% of the world's population will be living in cities.
- Today, the proportion of people aged 60 or older in China and South Korea is 12-15%. It is 15-22% in Europe, Canada & the United States, and 30% in Japan.
- In 2050 about 30% of the populations in the U.S.,Canada, China and Europe will be over 60 years of age. In Japan and South Korea the figure will be 40%.
(The New Population Bomb, J.A. Goldstone: Foreign Affairs, Vol 89 No.1)
Please feel free to link to any pages of FoodReference.com from your website.
For permission to use any of this content please E-mail: [email protected]
All contents are copyright © 1990 - 2020 James T. Ehler and www.FoodReference.com unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. You may copy and use portions of this website for non-commercial, personal use only.
Any other use of these materials without prior written authorization is not very nice and violates the copyright.
Please take the time to request permission.
FOOD TRIVIA and FOOD FACTS
FoodReference.com (since 1999)
FOOD TRIVIA and FOOD FACTS SECTION