CHOCOLATE MUD CAKE
Fix-It And Forget-It Big Cookbook
by Phyllis Pellman Good
Marci Baum; Annville, PA
Makes: 8 Servings
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 1-2 Hours
Cooling Time: 25 Minutes
Ideal Slow-Cooker Size: 4-Quart
~ 1 cup flour
~ 2 tsp. baking powder
~ 2 Tbsp. butter
~ 2 ozs. semisweet chocolate or 1/3 cup chocolate chips
~ 1 cup sugar, divided
~ 3 Tbsp. plus 1/3 cup Dutch-processed cocoa, divided
~ 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
~ ¼ tsp. salt
~ 1/3 cup skim milk
~ 1 egg yolk
~ 1/3 cup brown sugar
~ 1½ cups hot water
1. Coat inside of slow cooker with nonfat cooking spray.
2. In mixing bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder. Set aside.
3. In a large microwave-safe mixing bowl, melt the butter and chocolate in the microwave. Mix well.
4. Whisk in 2/3 cup sugar, 3 Tbsp. cocoa, vanilla, salt, milk, and egg yolk.
5. Add the flour mixture. Stir until thoroughly mixed.
6. Pour batter into slow cooker. Spread evenly.
7. Whisk together remaining sugar, cocoa, and hot water until sugar is dissolved. Pour over batter in slow cooker. Do not stir.
8. Cover. Cook on High 1-2 hours. The cake will be very moist and floating on a layer of molten chocolate when it's done. And you'll know it is done cooking when nearly all the cake is set and its edges begin to pull away from the sides of the pot.
9. Turn off slow cooker and remove lid. Try not to let the condensed steam from the lid drip onto the cake. Let cool for 25 minutes before cutting and spooning onto individual plates.
Note: If diets permit, serve the cake with low-fat or fat-free frozen yogurt.
Per Serving: 370 calories (60 calories from fat), 7g total fat (3.5g saturated, 0g trans), 35mg cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 72g total carbohydrate (2g fiber, 53g sugar), 9g protein, 0% DV vitamin A, 0% DV vitamin C, 25% DV calcium, 8% DV iron.
slow cooker recipes, crockpot recipes