FLOURLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE
Country Living Great Cakes
by The Editors of Country Living
Serve this bittersweet chocolate cake warm or at room temperature; the chocolate sauce is equally delicious over ice cream or pound cake.
Makes 8 Servings (one 8 -inch cake)
• 5 large eggs
• 8 -1 ounce bittersweet chocolate squares or bars
• 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
• 2/3 cup sugar
• 2/3 cup ground almonds
• 6 -1 ounce bittersweet chocolate bars or squares
• 1/2 cup heavy cream
1. MAKE THE BATTER: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter an 8-inch springform pan. Separate eggs, placing whites in a medium bowl and yolks in a large bowl; bring to room temperature. In the top of a double boiler, over hot, not boiling, water, heat the chocolate and butter, stirring constantly, until melted. Set aside to cool. With a mixer set on high speed, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Set the egg whites aside. Using the same beaters, beat the egg yolks and sugar until thick and pale yellow—about 5 minutes. Stir the almonds and chocolate mixture into the yolk mixture. Using a rubber spatula, fold the egg whites into the chocolate-almond mixture. Pour the batter evenly into the pan.
2. BAKE THE CAKE: Bake the cake until the center springs back when gently touched with a fingertip—20 to 25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove the ring from the springform pan and let the cake cool 10 minutes more on a wire rack.
3. PREPARE THE CHOCOLATE SAUCE: In the top of a double boiler set over hot, not boiling, water, heat the chocolate and heavy cream, stirring constantly, until melted and well combined. Transfer the cake to a serving plate and serve with the chocolate sauce.
Nutrition Information Per Serving—protein: 10 G; Fat: 43 G; Carbohydrate: 47 G; Fiber: 3 G; Sodium: 149 Mg; Cholesterol: 181 Mg: Calories: 572.