BLUEBERRY LEMON SCONES
Prep Time: 15 minutes
• No-stick cooking spray
• 2 2/3 cups all purpose flour
• 1/2 cup sugar, plus 2 tablespoons (divided)
• 1/2 cup dried blueberries
• 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 container (8 ounces) low fat lemon yogurt
• 1/3 cup Dried Plum Puree or 1 jar (2.5 ounces) baby food plums
• 3 tablespoons butter, melted
• 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon rind
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Heat oven to 400°F.
Lightly coat large baking sheet with no-stick cooking spray; set aside.
In large bowl, combine flour, 1/2 cup of the sugar, the blueberries, baking powder and salt; set aside.
In small bowl, whisk together yogurt, Dried Plum Puree, butter, lemon peel and vanilla.
Add to dry ingredients and stir together with rubber spatula to form a dough that just holds together.
Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and pat it into a 10-inch circle.
Combine the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar with nutmeg and sprinkle evenly over the dough.
Pat the sugar mixture gently.
Cut circle into 12 wedges with sharp knife.
Space scones about an inch apart on prepared baking sheet; bake 15 to 17 minutes or until scones are a rich golden brown and cracked on tops.
Transfer to cooling rack; let cool slightly. Serve warm.
DRIED PLUM PURÉE: (Makes 1/2 cup)
In food processor container, combine 2/3 cup (4 ounces) pitted dried plums and 3 tablespoons water; process on and off until finely chopped.
Nutritional Information (per serving)
% of Calories from Fat 15%
California Dried Plum Board - www.californiadriedplums.org