APPLE CHEDDAR DUMPLINGS
Outdoor Dutch Oven Cookbook
by Sheila Mills
Yield: 8 servings
• unsalted butter for greasing pan
• 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
• 1/4 cup granulated sugar
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 4 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
• 1/4 cup chilled vegetable shortening, cut into pieces
• 1¾ cups packed, finely grated, extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
• 3/4 cup ice water
• 4 cups peeled, cored, and thinly sliced Granny Smith apples
• 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
• 6 tablespoons brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
• 3 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
• 1 egg
• 1 tablespoon whipping cream
• 1 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
• 2 tablespoons maple syrup
Grease a Dutch oven or 9" X 12" baking pan and set aside.
Make the pastry: Combine flour, granulated sugar, and salt. Cut in butter and the shortening with a pastry blender or your fingers. Add cheese and continue to blend until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Mix in water until dough holds together. Knead dough briefly.
Make the filling: Combine apples, walnuts, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
Make the glaze: Whip together the egg and cream. The glaze should be thick and creamy. Set aside.
Roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut into eight 3-inch squares. Place a scoop of apple filling in center of each square. Dot apple filling with 3 tablespoons chilled butter. Fold up the corners of each filled square, creating a package. Pinch edges to seal dough and brush top with glaze. Place in the bottom of Dutch oven or baking pan.
Bake in Dutch oven for about 40 minutes, or in 350°F conventional oven for 40 minutes, until crusts are golden brown.
Whisk yogurt, or sour cream, and syrup together and spoon over each serving.