MARCH 8 - Today in Food History
• [International Women's Day] - Each year around the world, International Women's Day (IWD) is celebrated on March 8. Thousands of events occur not just on this day but throughout March to mark the economic, political and social achievements of women.
• Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Day (March 8, 2023) [Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics]
• Peanut Cluster Day (Peanut Facts & Trivia)
(Peanut Taste Tests --- Peanut Quotes)
• Groundwater Awareness Week (March 5-11, 2023)
[National Ground Water Association]
• National School Breakfast Week (March 6-10, 2023 - 1st full week in March) [School Nutrition Assoc]
(Breakfast Recipes --- Breakfast Facts & Trivia)
• UK: [British Pie Week] (March 6-12, 2023)
(Pie Recipes --- Pie Trivia --- Pie Quotes)
• UK: SPAM Appreciation Week (March 6-12, 2023)
• UK: [Fairtrade Fortnight] (Feb 27-March 12, 2023) Celebrate the people who grow our food, people who live in some of the poorest countries in the world and who are often exploited and badly paid.
On this day in:
1765 John Hannon, financed by James Baker, began producing one of the first North American made chocolate products using water power. The beginnings of 'Baker's Chocolate'
1817 The New York Stock Exchange was founded.
1824 Jean Jacques Regis de Cambaceres died. A French politician and gourmet, a contemporary and rival of Talleyrand and Carême. The dinners he gave were famous, and Cambaceres closely supervised the food preparation. He refused to admit late-comers, and was also said to have demanded complete silence while dining. (Freud would have liked to meet him!)
1887 Everett Horton of Bristol Connecticut received U.S. patent No. 359,153 for a telescoping fishing rod.
(Fishing Trivia & Facts --- Fish Quotes)
1887 James Buchanan Eads died (born May 23, 1820). Invented a diving bell and special boat for salvaging goods from sunken riverboats. Created a jetty system on the Mississippi for New Orleans which sped up the river's flow to cut its channel deeper, enabling year round navigation.
1902 Tom Blake was born. The inventor of the modern surf board.
1923 The Coca Cola 6 bottle carton was introduced.
1927 Norwich Pharmacal registered 'Pepto-Bismol' trademark (first used in 1919). Pepto-Bismol provides relief of symptoms due to overindulgence in food and drink, including heartburn, indigestion, diarrhea, and nausea.
1941 American author Sherwood Anderson supposedly swallowed a toothpick or a swizzle stick while at a cocktail party in the Panama Canal Zone, and died of peritonitis.
1985 The U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) reported that there were more than 400,000 American millionaires and 13 billionaires.
1992 Christian K. Nelson inventor of the Eskimo Pie died at age 98. (born March 12, 1893).
(Eskimo Pie Facts and Trivia)