See also: Trout Trivia; Trout Fit for a King; Trout in Trouble
Fish - More than 90% of the rainbow trout sold in the U.S. is farm raised.
The oldest known painting of a fisherman using a rod is from Egypt and dated at about 2000 B.C. Claudius Aelian (170-235 AD), a Roman author and teacher, mentions trout fishing with artificial flies with hooks in Macedonia.
There are 10,708 people in the U.S. listed on whitepages.com with the last name 'Trout'
(Mark Morton, 'Gastronomica', Fall 2010)
· In 2001 Louisiana designated the Spotted Sea Trout or Speckled Trout (Cynoscion nebulosus) its Official Saltwater Fish.
· The Brook Trout (Salvelinius fontinalis) is the Official State Fish of Pennsylvania, Michigan, West Virginia and New Jersey.
· The Brook Trout was designated as the Official Cold Water Fish of Vermont in 1978.
· New Hampshire designated Brook Trout as its Official State Freshwater Fish in 1994.
· The Brook trout was changed from Virginia's State Fish (1993) to State Freshwater Fish in 2011.
· New York designated the Brook or Speckled Trout as its Official State Fresh-Water Fish (designated official Fish in 1975; changed to Official Freshwater Fish in 2006)
· The Southern Appalachian Brook Trout was designated as the Official Freshwater Trout of North Carolina in 2005.
· In 2005 Maine recognized the Eastern Brook Trout and the Blueback Charr as Official State Heritage Fish
· The Cutthroat Trout (Oncorhynchus clarkii) is the Official State Fish Of Idaho and Wyoming.
· The Greenback Cutthroat Trout (Oncorhynchus clarki stomias) is the official state fish of Colorado.
· The Bonneville Cutthroat Trout (Oncorhynchus clarkii utah) was designated as the Official Fish of Utah in 1997.
· Montana designated the Blackspotted Cutthroat Trout (Salmo clarki) as its Official State Fish in 1977.
· Nevada designated the Lohontan Cutthroat trout (Salmo clarki henshawi) as its Official State Fish in 1981.
· New Mexico designated the Native New Mexico Cutthroat Trout or Rio Grande Cutthroat Trout (Oncorhynchus clarki virginalis) as its Official State Fish in 1955.
· The California Golden Trout (Salmo aqua bonita) is the official state fish of California (1947).
· The Steelhead trout (Salmo gairdneri) was designated as the Official Fish of Washington in 1969.
The largest brown trout weighed over 40 pounds and was caught in Arkansas on May 9, 1992.
Please feel free to link to any pages of FoodReference.com from your website.
For permission to use any of this content please E-mail: [email protected]
All contents are copyright © 1990 - 2021 James T. Ehler and www.FoodReference.com unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. You may copy and use portions of this website for non-commercial, personal use only.
Any other use of these materials without prior written authorization is not very nice and violates the copyright.
Please take the time to request permission.
FOOD TRIVIA and FOOD FACTS
FoodReference.com (since 1999)
FOOD TRIVIA and FOOD FACTS SECTION