BEEF POT PIE
The Taste of Home Cookbook
New Revised 2nd Edition
Filling and comforting, this meat pie is a delicious way to put leftover roast beef to use. Grated onion adds a nice flavor to the pie crust.
Lucile Cline, Wichita, Kansas
Prep: 30 min.
Bake: 45 min. + standing
Yield: 8 servings.
• 1/4 cup each chopped onion, green pepper and sweet red pepper
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
• 3 cups cubed cooked roast beef
• 2 cups frozen cubed hash brown potatoes
• 1 can (10¾ ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
• 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn
• 1 jar (4½ ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
• 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
• Dash pepper
• 2½ cups all-purpose flour
• 1¼ teaspoons salt
• 1 cup butter-flavored shortening
• 4 teaspoons grated onion
• 4 to 5 tablespoons cold water
1) In a large skillet, saute the onion, peppers and garlic in oil for 3 minutes. Stir in the beef, potatoes, soup, corn, mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
2) For pastry, combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Cut in shortening until crumbly; sprinkle with onion. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
3) Divide dough in half so that one ball is slightly larger than the other. On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger ball to fit a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate.
4) Transfer pastry to plate; trim even with edge. Add filling. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie;
place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top.
5) Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until filling is bubbly and crust is golden brown. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
1 serving equals 625 calories, 39 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 785 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 21 g protein.