BEEF SHORT RIBS WITH TOMATO WINE SAUCE
Create a memorable holiday dinner by adding your own special dishes. Instead of the traditional ham or turkey, create new family favorites. A perfect, flavorful centerpiece? Beef Short Ribs with Tomato-Wine Sauce. This juicy, tender meat is enhanced with the deep smokiness of the Fire Roasted Tomatoes, and flavors of wine, garlic, chili sauce and onions in the sauce. Serve with glazed carrots, garlic mashed potatoes and a colorful spinach salad.
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Start to Finish: 2 Hours 50 Minutes
• 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
• 4 lb bone-in beef short ribs, trimmed of fat
• 1 can (14.5 oz) Muir Glen Organic Fire Roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
• 1/2 cup beef broth
• 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
• 1/4 cup chili sauce
• 1/2 teaspoon coarse (kosher or sea) salt
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 1 medium onion, halved, thinly sliced
• 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1. Heat oven to 325°F. In 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add ribs; cook 7 to 9 minutes, turning frequently, until brown on all sides.
2. In ungreased 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish, mix tomatoes, broth, wine, chili sauce, salt and pepper until well blended. Add ribs, onion and garlic; stir gently to mix. (Baking dish will be full.) Cover with foil.
3. Bake 2 hours 30 minutes or until ribs are tender.
5 Remove ribs from baking dish; cover to keep warm. Skim fat from sauce. Serve ribs with sauce.
1 Serving: Calories 600 (Calories from Fat 360); Total Fat 39g (Saturated Fat 15g, Trans Fat 1.5g); Cholesterol 195mg; Sodium 690mg; Total Carbohydrate 8g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 4g); Protein 49g
% Daily Value: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 10%; Calcium 6%; Iron 20%
Exchanges: 1/2 Other Carbohydrate, 7 Medium-Fat Meat, 1 Fat
Carbohydrate Choices: 1/2
Recipe courtesy of Muir Glen. Muir Glen is a Registered Trademark of Small Planet Foods, Inc.