VALENTINE'S RED VELVET CAKE
Perfect for Valentine's Day, Christmas, or any special occasion, this southern classic never goes out of style. Take a short cup by using cake mix to effortlessly prepare a beautiful and deliciously rich luscious cake.
Makes 16 to 20 servings
• 1 (18.25-ounce) box yellow cake mix
• 2 tablespoons cocoa
• 1/4 cup canola oil
• 1 egg
• 3 egg whites
• 1 (1-ounce) bottle red food coloring
• 1 cup skim milk
• 1 tablespoon vinegar
• Cream Cheese Icing (recipe below)
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat three 9-inch round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine cake mix, cocoa, oil, egg, egg whites, and food coloring. In a small bowl, combine milk and vinegar, and add to mixing bowl Mix until well combined.
3. Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool layers on a rack and ice with Cream Cheese Icing.
CREAM CHEESE ICING
Makes 16 servings
• 1 (8-ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
• 3 tablespoons butter
• 1 (16-ounce) box confectioners' sugar
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add confectioners' sugar and beat until light. Add vanilla.
For another fantastic dessert option, turn this cake into a trifle by layering cake, cream cheese icing, and nonfat whipped topping in a trifle or glass bowl. One time, the layers fell apart and I turned it into a trifle and now I make the cake both ways and can't decide which is the most popular!
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Calories 272, Calories from fat (%) 29, Fat (g) 9, Saturated Fat (g) 4, Cholesterol (mg) 23, Sodium (mg) 246, Carbohydrate (g) 45, Dietary Fiber (g) 0, Sugars (g) 35, Protein (g) 3, Diabetic Exchanges: 3 carbohydrate, 2 fat
Recipe from trim&TerrificT Gulf Coast Favorites by Holly Clegg
(Holly Clegg Publications; September 2008; $24.95, ISBN: 978-0-9815640-05/soft cover).