POLENTA PIE WITH SPINACH
Vegan Italiano by Donna Klein
This is an excellent company dish as it can be assembled 24 hours before baking. You can also prepare it using well-drained, cooked chopped broccoli.
Makes 6 To 8 Servings
• 4 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 large onion (about 8 ounces), finely chopped
• 4 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, cooked according to package directions, squeezed as dry as possible between layers of paper towels
• 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil (optional)
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• 3 cups water
• 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
• 2 cups polenta or coarse-ground yellow cornmeal
• Fresh basil leaves, for garnish (optional) 2 cups favorite pasta sauce, or Tomato Sauce, heated
Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly oil a 10-inch ceramic pie or quiche dish; set aside.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened but not browned, about 3 minutes. Add half of the garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add the spinach, chopped basil (if using), salt, and pepper; stir until thoroughly combined.
Remove from heat and set aside.
In a large stockpot, bring the water and broth to a boil over high heat. Slowly add the polenta, stirring constantly with a long-handled wooden spoon. Reduce the heat to low and stir in 2 tablespoons of the remaining oil, remaining garlic, and salt. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the polenta is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, 5
Immediately spoon half the polenta into the prepared pie plate, pressing down with the back of a large spoon to form a smooth surface. Spoon the spinach rilling over top, spreading to within a 1/2 inch of the outside rim of the polenta. Carefully spoon the remaining polenta over the filling, using your fingers to evenly spread and the back of a large spoon to form a smooth surface. Brush the top evenly with the remaining oil.
Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake 15 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned. Remove from the oven and let rest 15 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve at once, garnished with the basil leaves (if using),
and accompanied by the pasta sauce (if using).
Calories 420; Protein 15g; Total Fat 15g; Sat. Fat 2g; Cholesterol 0mg; Carbohydrate 60g; Dietary Fiber 14g; Sodium 741 mg