CREAMY POLENTA WITH CHERRY TOMATO RELISH
• 6 cups cherry tomatoes
• Low fat cooking spray
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1/4 cup shallots, sliced
• 1½ tablespoons sugar
• 3/4 cup dry white wine
• 1½ teaspoons salt, divided
• 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
• 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
• 1 cup dry polenta
• 1/2 cup shaved fresh Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 425º F.
2. Spray a shallow roasting pan with low fat cooking spray.
3. Cut slits at bottom of each cherry tomato then place stem-side down in roasting pan. Bake at 425º F for about 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 375º and continue to bake for another 45 minutes. Remove from oven, cover with aluminum foil and let stand for about 10-15 minutes.
4. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and sauté 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
5. Add white wine, reduce to medium-low heat and simmer 5 minutes.
6. Add 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper.
7. Remove from heat, stir in tomatoes, cover and set aside.
8. In a large saucepan, add milk and water and bring to a boil then remove from heat.
9. Gradually add dry polenta while stirring constantly with a whisk. Cover and cook for 2 minutes over medium-low heat.
10. Add 1 teaspoon salt, cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until polenta reaches a thick consistency, stirring occasionally.
11. Pass the tomato relish and Parmesan shavings at the table.
Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe (220 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
Amount per serving
Calories from fat 44
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 7 mg
Sodium 596 mg
Total Carbohydrates 25 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g
Sugars 2 g
Protein 7 g
Vitamin A 20%
Vitamin C 35%
King County Washington Public Health www.metrokc.gov