PHEASANT WITH NUTTED RICE IN ORANGE CUPS
Yield: Makes 6 servings.
• 3 broiler pheasants (1½ pounds each), dressed*
• 1/2 lemon
• salt and ground black pepper to taste
• 1/3 cup butter or margarine
• juice of 3 oranges (reserve shells)
• 1 cup golden raisins
• 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
• 1 cup chicken broth
• 1/3 cup Muscatel wine
Nutted Rice in Fluted Orange Cups:
• 1 cup uncooked rice
• 2 cups chicken broth
• 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
• 2/3 cup chopped pecans
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
• salt to taste
Rinse pheasants inside and outside with warm water. Drain well. Rub pheasants inside with lemon. Season with salt and pepper. Place in baking dish, breast side up. Spread with butter. Add orange juice, raisins, lemon peel, chicken broth and wine to the baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees 45 minutes, basting every 10 minutes. Serve with Nutted Rice in Fluted Orange Cups.
Combine rice and chicken broth in saucepan. Bring to a boil. Stir. Cover and cook over low heat for 15 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat. Stir in butter, pecans and parsley. Season to taste. Flute orange cups and spoon rice into shells.
Total Fat 41g
Total Carbohydrate 57g
Dietary Fiber 2g
USA Rice Federation (www.usarice.com)