CHUNKY CORN CHOWDER
Complete Idiot's Guide to Vegan Cooking
by Beverly Lynn Bennett & Ray Sammartano
This hearty, low-fat chowder is bejeweled with flecks of color thanks to the corn, carrots, celery, and both red and green peppers. Instant mashed potato flakes and soy milk are used to create its thick and creamy consistency.
Prep time: 7 to 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 to 30 minutes
Serving size: 1½ cups
Yield: 6 servings
• 5 cups water
• 1½ cups red-skinned potatoes, cut into 1/2-in. cubes
• 2/3 cup red onion, diced
• 2/3 cup carrot, diced
• 2/3 cup celery, diced
• 1 TB. garlic, minced
• 1 tsp. dried basil
• 1 tsp. dried oregano
• 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
• 1 cup fresh or frozen cut corn kernels
• 2/3 cup green bell pepper, ribs & seeds removed, diced
• 2/3 cup red bell pepper, ribs & seeds removed, and diced
• 1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced
• 3/4 tsp. sea salt
• 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper or lemon pepper
• 1½ cups instant mashed potatoes flakes
• 1 cup soy milk or other nondairy milk of choice
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
• 1 TB. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1. In a large pot, combine water, potatoes, red onion, carrot, celery, garlic, basil, oregano, and thyme. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce to low heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
2. Stir in corn, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, green onions, salt, and black pepper, and simmer for 10 to 15 more minutes or until vegetables are tender. Slowly stir in mashed potato flakes, and simmer for 1 or 2 minutes or until thickened.
3. Remove from heat. Stir in soy milk, parsley, and lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Variation: For extra flavor, add one or more of the following to the simmering soup: 2 cups cubed sweet potatoes or winter squash, 1/4 cup chopped vegetarian Canadian bacon or ham, 1 finely diced jalapeño pepper, or 1 teaspoon chili powder or chipotle chili powder as desired.
Thyme-ly Tip: Instant mashed potato flakes work well as a fast and easy binder and thickener in recipes, such as soups, stews, sauces, casseroles, burgers, and loaves. Be sure to buy brands that are made with only dehydrated potatoes and don't contain any artificial preservatives or ingredients.