CORN, POTATO, AND LEEK CHOWDER
Gluten Free Every Day Cookbook
by Robert M. Landolphi
This classic soup incorporating leeks, corn, potatoes, and cheese provides the perfect warmth for an autumn meal.
Chef's Tip: After cutting the leeks, soak them in cold water to ensure that they are clean.
• 5 slices bacon, diced
• 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
• 1 cup chopped yellow onion
• 2 leeks (white and pale green parts only), halved lengthwise, cut into 1/2-inch slices, and washed
• 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 4 cups chicken stock or broth
• 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice (4 cups)
• 3 cups frozen corn kernels
• 1½ cups light cream or half-and-half, heated to 110°F
• 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
• 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
• 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
• 2 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
In a large, heavy soup pot, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain.
Pour off the fat from the pot. Add the butter and melt over medium heat. Add the onion, leeks, bell pepper, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Saute the vegetables until tender, about 5 minutes, and then add the garlic. Saute for 1 more minute, then add the stock and potatoes.
Cover the pot, bring to a boil, and decrease the heat to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
Add the corn, cream, thyme, and chile powder, and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
Ladle 3 cups of the chowder into a blender. Puree until smooth and stir back into the pot. Stir in the cheese until melted. Stir in the bacon and parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper.