BUTTERNUT SQUASH RAVIOLI WITH WHISKEY SAGE CREAM SAUCE
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Makes 6 servings.
• 1/2 medium butternut squash (about 1 pound), seeded
• 3 tablespoons butter, divided
• 1/3 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts
• 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
• 1¾ teaspoons McCormick Gourmet Collection Rubbed Sage, divided
• 1 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet Collection Garlic Powder, divided
• 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
• 1/4 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet Collection Ground Nutmeg
• 2 teaspoons brown sugar
• 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon rye whiskey, divided
• 30 refrigerated wonton wrappers
• 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
• 1/4 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet Collection Coarse Grind Black Pepper
• 2 cups heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Place squash, cut side down, on lightly greased baking sheet. Bake 30 minutes or until tender. Cool squash.
2. Meanwhile, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in medium skillet on medium heat. Add hazelnuts; cook and stir 3 minutes or until toasted. Remove hazelnuts from skillet. Set aside. Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in same skillet on medium heat. Add onion, 3/4 teaspoon of the sage, 1/2 teaspoon each of the garlic powder and salt, and nutmeg; cook and stir 5 minutes or until onion is golden brown. Scoop out flesh from cooled squash and place in food processor; cover. Process until smooth. Add onion mixture, sugar and 1 teaspoon of the rye whiskey; process to mix well. Season with pepper, if desired.
3. Spoon 2 teaspoons squash filling in center of each wonton wrapper. Lightly brush edges of wrapper with water. Fold wonton in half, crimping edges with fork to seal. Set raviolis aside until ready to cook.
4. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in same skillet on medium heat. Add shallots, remaining 1 teaspoon sage, remaining 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper; cook and stir 2 minutes or until shallots are slightly softened. Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons rye whiskey and cream. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened and coats the back of a spoon.
5. Meanwhile, cook raviolis in large pot of gently boiling salted water 4 minutes or until raviolis rise to the surface and are tender but not overdone. Transfer raviolis to serving plates. Spoon cream sauce over raviolis. Sprinkle with toasted hazelnuts.
Test Kitchen Tip: Rye whiskey is an American whiskey with a flavor similar to a smooth, rich bourbon.
Recipe from McCormick® - Spices & Seasonings