BONITA'S SQUASH PIE
Fix-It And Enjoy-It! Healthy Cookbook
Phyllis Pellman Good
Recipe: Natalia Showalter, Mt. Solon, VA
Makes 4 main-dish servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Baking Time: 30-40 minutes
Standing Time: 10 minutes
• 3 cups shredded summer squash
• 1/2 cup chopped onion
• 1/2 cup shredded carrots
• 2 tsp. olive oil
• 2 egg whites, or egg substitute equivalent to 1 egg
• 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
• 3/4 cup shredded low-sodium, low-fat mozzarella cheese
• 2 Tbsp. fresh minced parsley
• 1/4 tsp. pepper
• 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
• 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
• 1/2 cup cracker crumbs, from about 5 whole crackers with unsalted tops, crushed
1. Place shredded squash into a clean cloth kitchen towel. Fold towel over zucchini and twist or press the towel to remove moisture.
2. In a saucepan or large skillet, lightly saute squash, onion, and carrot in olive oil.
3. Mix in egg whites or egg substitute, sour cream, cheese, parsley, and seasonings.
4. Pour into 9" pie plate.
5. Garnish top with cracker crumbs.
6. Bake at 375° for 20-30 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
7. Allow to stand 10 minutes before cutting.
NUTRITION Per Serving
Calories 204, Protein 12g, Carbohydrates 20g, Total Fat 8g, Saturated Fat 4g, Monounsaturated Fat 3g, Polyunsaturated Fat 1g, Cholesterol 22 mg, Sodium 320 mg. Fiber 4g