Boston Fish Pier Recipes for Sea Food (1913)
• Attention to details is very necessary.
• Sand or bath brick is excellent for cleaning wooden articles, floors, tables, etc.
• If you use limestone water an oyster shell in the tea kettle will receive the lime deposit.
• Boil in the coffee pot occasionally soap, water, and washing soda. It should always be bright to assure good coffee.
• Pans made of sheet iron are better to bake bread in than those made of tin.
• If skillets are very greasy a little sal soda in the water will neutralize the grease, and so make them much easier to wash.
• Bottles and cruets are cleaned nicely with sand and soapsuds.
• Iron pots, stoneware, jars, and crocks should have cold water and a little soda placed in them on the stove and allowed to boil before using them.
• Never allow the handled knives to be placed in hot water.
• Scrape the dough from your rolling pin and wipe with a dry towel, rather than wash it.
• Steel or silver may tarnish in woolen cloths. A chamois skin or tissue paper is very much better.
• Don't put your tinware or iron vessels away damp; always dry them first. Scald out your woodenware often.
• Don't use a brass kettle for cooking until it is thoroughly cleaned with salt and vinegar.
• Don't allow tea or coffee to stand in tin.
• Put a lump of camphor in the case with the silverware when packing it away for summer; it will save it from discoloring.
• One teaspoonful ammonia to a teacup of water, applied with a rag, will clean silver perfectly.
• For cleaning tinware there is nothing better than dry flour applied with a newspaper.
• Dissolve a tablespoonful of turpentine in two quarts of hot water and use for washing glass dishes. It gives them a beautiful lustre.
Please feel free to link to any pages of FoodReference.com from your website.
For permission to use any of this content please E-mail: email@example.com
All contents are copyright © 1990 - 2014 James T. Ehler and www.FoodReference.com unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved.
You may copy and use portions of this website for non-commercial, personal use only.
Any other use of these materials without prior written authorization is not very nice and violates the copyright.
Please take the time to request permission.