See also: Healthy Food Choices Videos
In order to have fun while exercising, you’re going to need strong bones to keep you on your feet – and dairy products are the simplest way to meet your body’s calcium needs.
Calcium not only keeps bones strong, it aids in protecting teeth, helps muscles to contract and the heart to beat
(American Dietetic Association).
Do yourself and your family a favor, and make calcium a priority! Stick to the food pyramid and aim for three servings from the Milk, Yogurt and Cheese Group every day.
Do Your Dairy Due Diligence
An estimated 44 million Americans—more than half of people ages 50 and older—will be impacted by osteoporosis. While osteoporosis mostly affects older adults, prevention can begin at an early age. Girls and boys develop about 85-90 percent of their adult bone mass by the time they are ages 18 and 20, respectively. However, more than 85 percent of girls and 60 percent of boys ages 9 to 18 fail to get the recommended 1,300 milligrams of calcium per day (www.kidshealth.org). So show your bones some love and make calcium-rich foods a key part of your diet.
Check out these fun ways to get your family excited about calcium:
1) Have a family milk mustache contest: Take photos and let friends and family decide the winner.
2) Plan a “taste of calcium” experience: Have your kids pick out a variety of cheeses at the store and let them sample a different kind each day for a week.
3) Change it up: Serve different milk flavors at every meal.
• Flavored milk is a great way to give your kids the calcium they need without adding extra fat and sugar.
4) Get creative: Find a recipe online and make your own cheese with your kids.
5) Do something cool: Have a yogurt smoothie buffet and let your family add their favorite fresh fruits to create their own calcium-rich smoothies.
6) Teach your kids how to read nutrition labels: Have a contest to see who can reach 10,000 milligrams of calcium first, with the winner getting to choose a fun afternoon activity.
7) Go behind the scenes: Visit a local dairy farm to see how products are produced and try fresh samples.
8) Have a cook-off: Have every family member prepare their favorite calcium-rich dish, with the winner getting their favorite meal (prepared by the family!) as a prize.
Courtesy of Alpine Lace® Deli Cheese
Visit www.alpinelace.com for delicious recipes and tips for healthier lifestyles.
Please feel free to link to any pages of FoodReference.com from your website.
For permission to use any of this content please E-mail: [email protected]
All contents are copyright © 1990 - 2018 James T. Ehler and www.FoodReference.com unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
You may copy and use portions of this website for non-commercial, personal use only.
Any other use of these materials without prior written authorization is not very nice and violates the copyright.
Please take the time to request permission.