Today in Food History
• National Macadamia Nut Day (Macadamia Nut Trivia)
• St. Ida of Herzfeld, patron of brides.
• National Waffle Week (Sept 1-7, 2019)
• UK: [Zero Waste Week] (Sept 2-6, 2019))
• UK: Fish and Chip Day ( Sept 4 for 2020 - moved from June for 2020) [Nat'l Edible Oil Dist. Assn]
• [Scottish Food & Drink Fortnight] (Aug 31-Sept 15, 2019) A nationwide event which supports and promotes Scotland’s produce, and the people who grow, make, cook and sell it. (Food Festivals in Scotland)
On this day in:
1768 Francois Auguste Rene Vicomte de Chateaubriand was born. Chateaubriand was a French writer and politician. His chef, Montmireil, created the famous recipe consisting of a center cut from the beef tenderloin, grilled and served with béarnaise sauce and chateau potatoes. He named the dish Chateaubriand.
1781 The settlement known as “El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora La Reina de Los Angeles de Porciuncula” (City of the Queen of the Angels) was founded. Now known as simply Los Angeles, California.
(Los Angeles Food Trivia)
1783 Frederic Tudor was born (died Feb 6, 1864). 'The Ice King' He created an export trade for block ice harvested from frozen ponds in New England during the winter. The ice was shipped in insulated cargo holds to the Carribbean, India and Europe and stored in insulated warehouses.
1864 Bread riots were reported in Mobile, Alabama.
(Alabama Food Trivia & Facts)
1866 Alfred L. Cralle was born (died May 3, 1920). Inventor of an ice cream scoop, his design is still in use today. (see Feb 2, 1897) --- (Ice Cream Trivia)
1885 The Exchange Buffet opened at 7 New Street in New York City, serving men only. One of the first self service restaurants.
1904 The St. Regis Hotel opened in New York City. Built by John Jacob Astor IV, it was the first hotel to have central air conditioning and heating in every room.
(St. Regis Hotel History)
1920 Craig Claiborne was born (died Jan 22, 2000). Influential American food writer, cookbook author. Food editor and restaurant critic for the ‘NY Times’.
1962 The 'Haagen-Dazs' trademark was registered.
1967 The final episode of 'Gilligans Island' TV show aired.
1996 The Smashing Pumpkins won seven MTV Video Music Awards.