Today in Food History
• National Butterscotch Pudding Day
(Butterscotch Pudding Recipe)
• National Farm Safety & Health Week (Sept 19-25, 2021) [Nat'l Education Ctr for Agricultural Safety]
• Canada: [National Organic Week] (Sept 13-19, 2021) The largest annual celebration of organic food, farming and products across Canada.
• UK: [British Food Fortnight] (Sept 18-Oct 3, 2021)
• [Scottish Food & Drink Fortnight] (Sept 4-19, 2021) A nationwide event which supports and promotes Scotland’s produce, and the people who grow, make, cook and sell it.
On this day in:
1783 The Montgolfier brothers successfully sent up some live animals in a hot air balloon, including a sheep and a rooster.
1839 George Cadbury was born. He took over his father's chocolate business and built it into a major chocolate manufacturer. (Chocolate Trivia & Facts
1851 William Lever was born (died May 7, 1925). British manufacturer who founded Lever Brothers soap company with his brother James. Lever was one of the first to produce soap from vegetable oils rather than tallow.
1876 Melville Bissell patented the carpet sweeper.
1911 English author William Golding was born. His first novel was 'Lord of the Flies' (1954).
1941 Mama Cass Elliot, singer (The Mamas and the Papas) was born. The rumor that she choked to death on a ham sandwich in 1974 is not true. She actually died of a heart attack.
1949 Lesley Hornsby, aka 'Twiggy' was born. Not exactly a poster girl for French Haute Cuisine!
1959 Soviet Premier Nikita Krushchev is told he cannot visit Disneyland. Krushchev was indignant. The reason given was security concerns. Can you picture Krushchev cavorting with Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse?
1960 Mario Batali was born. American chef, author, restaurateur.
1960 'The Twist' by Chubby Checker reached Number 1 on the charts. Great music to exercise to.
1975 The first episode of 'Fawlty Towers' premiered. A BBC TV comedy series set in a fictional hotel.
1995 Orville Redenbacher died (born July 16, 1907). American agronomist and founder of gourmet popcorn company. (Popcorn Trivia & Facts)