NOVEMBER 17 - Today in Food History
• Homemade Bread Day (Bread Recipes)
(Bread Trivia --- Bread Articles --- Bread Quotes)
• National Butter Day [Dinner Bell Creamery]
• National Baklava Day (Quick Baklava Recipe)
• France: Beaujolais Nouveau wine released (Nov 17, 2022 - 3rd Thurs) (Beaujolais Article --- Wine Quotes)
• Feast of St. Elizabeth of Hungary, patron of bakers.
• National Hunger & Homeless Awareness Week (Nov 12- 20, 2022 - week before Thanksgiving) [National Coalition for the Homeless] A time to share our compassion with our neighbors who are experiencing homelessness.
• National Split Pea Soup Week: Celebrated in the U.S. since 1969 (Nov 13-19, 2022 - 2nd week in Nov)
(Pea Soup Recipes --- Pea Quotes)
On this day in:
1749 Nicolas Appert was born. Appert was a French cook and inventor who developed the method of preserving food that we call canning. He originally used glass jars sealed with wax and reinforced with wire.
(History of Canned Foods --- Can Trivia & Facts)
1772 Marc Antoine Desaugiers was born (died Aug 9, 1827). French composer, song writer. Wrote many songs about the joys of the table.
1857 H.N. Wadsworth of Washington D.C. received the first American toothbrush patent (U.S. patent No. 18,653). "...separating the bunches of bristles more than the common brush, so as to give more elasticity and enable them to enter between the interstices of the teeth-having the brush wide that it may be imperative on the part of the patient to brush the gums thoroughly..."
1869 The Suez Canal opened to shipping, linking the Red Sea with the Mediterranean Sea.
1936 Fredy Girardet was born. Swiss chef, he is considered one of the greatest chefs in the world, and his restaurant in Crissier, Switzerland one of the best in the world.
1966 'Don't Drink The Water,' Woody Allen's first play opened on Broadway.
1967 'Incense And Peppermints' by Strawberry Alarm Clock is #1 on the charts.
1968 NBC outraged football fans when it broke away from the final minutes of an Oakland Raiders-New York Jets game to air the TV film "Heidi," on schedule.
1973 President Richard M. Nixon told an Associated Press managing editors meeting, "I'm not a crook."
1988 Wal-Mart opened its first Super Center at Wheeler, Oklahoma. It carried fresh meat, produce, dairy products, and baked goods, in addition to other standard supermarket products and discount store merchandise.
1996 The World Food Summit concluded. Delegates promised full efforts to ease world hunger.
2003 Actor Arnold Schwarzenegger was sworn in as governor of California.
2006 The movie 'Fast Food Nation' opened in U.S. theatres.
2019 The first known case of the Coronavirus was traced to this date in Wuhan province, China.
2020 Coronavirus: New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell announced that parades will be prohibited for Mardi Gras celebrations in February 2021.