MARCH 24 - Today in Food History
• National Cheesesteak Day (History of the Cheesesteak: [Pat's King of Steaks])
• National Chocolate Covered Raisins Day
(Raisin Trivia & Facts)
• Ag Appreciation Week: March 20-27, 2022 [Community Agriculture Alliance] A time to recognize and celebrate the importance of agriculture.
(Farms & Farmers Trivia)
• [National ‘Ag’ Week] March 20-26, 2022 - A time to celebrate the abundance provided by agriculture.
• [National Poison Prevention Week] (March 20-26, 2022 - 3rd wk March) Established by Congress on September 16, 1961 [PL 87-319]
• American Chocolate Week (March 20-26, 2022)
(Chocolate Trivia & Facts --- Chocolate Quotes)
On this day in:
1765 The British Parliament passed the Quartering Act, which required American colonists to provide temporary quarters, food, drink, etc. to British troops stationed in their towns.
1896 Clement A. Hardy of Dallas, Texas received U.S. patent no. 556,972 for the rotary disk plow.
1914 Stephen F. Whitman registered a trademark for 'Whitman's Sampler Chocolates & Confections.'
1945 The Andrews Sisters recording of 'Rum and Coca Cola' hit #1 on the popular music charts.
1955 The first seagoing oil drilling rig went into service (for drilling in water over 100 feet deep).
1958 'Tequila' by The Champs was number one on the music charts.
1974 Nathan Handwerker died (born June 14, 1890). Founded 'Nathan's' hot dog emporium at Coney Island, New York in 1916.
1975 The beaver (castor canadensis) is recognized as an official symbol of Canada. (Beaver Trivia & Facts)
1989 The worst oil spill in U.S. history occurred as the Exxon Valdez ran aground in Alaska's Prince William Sound, and eventually leaked 11 million gallons of crude oil. The effects on wildlife and fish was devastating.
1990 Cookery book author Jane Grigson died at age 61.
1999 A truck carrying flour and margarine caught fire in the Mont Blanc Tunnel linking France and Italy, killing 39 people.
2020 Coronavirus: 2020 Olympics in Tokyo postponed; India and New Zealand order lockdowns; Countries in East Africa already ravaged by worst locust infestation in 70 years, begins Coronavirus restrictions.