TURKEY AND SWEET POTATO SOUP
Weight Watchers All Time Favorites
Hands-On Prep: 25 Min
Cook: 50 Min
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 large Vidalia onion, chopped
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
• 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (wear gloves to prevent irritation)
• 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
• 3 (14 1/2-ounce) cans low-sodium chicken broth
• 3 large sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
• 1 1/2 cups chopped cooked turkey breast
• 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
• 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
• 1/4 cup fat-free half-and-half
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1. Heat the oil in a nonstick Dutch oven or large pot set over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, jalapeno, and cardamom; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
2. Add enough water to the broth to equal 6 cups. Add the sweet potatoes and 3 cups of the broth to the Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove the Dutch oven from the heat and let the mixture cool 5 minutes.
3. Transfer the mixture, in batches if necessary, to a blender and puree. Return to the Dutch oven. Stir in the remaining 3 cups of broth, the turkey, brown sugar, and lime juice; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until heated through, about 3 minutes. Remove the Dutch oven from the heat; stir in the half-and-half. Ladle the soup into 6 bowls. Sprinkle with the cilantro and serve at once.
Play It Safe: When transferring hot soup from a pot to a blender, we recommend first letting the mixture cool for at least S minutes. Do not fill the blender more than halfway with the hot liquid. We also like to remove the center part of the lid to allow the steam to escape and, instead, hold a folded clean kitchen towel on the lid while the machine is running.
Per Serving (1 3/4 cups): 262 Cal, 5 g Fat, 1 g Sat Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 34 mg Chol, 162 mg Sod, 38 g Carb, 3 g Fib, 17 g Prot, 73 mg Calc.
POINTS value: 5