Healthy Carb Cookbook For Dummies® by Jan McCracken
This quick and delicious Chinese-style steamed trout provides a borderline elegant presentation. You can also use other types of fish with this technique. This recipe calls for 4 wooden chopsticks, but if you don't have chopsticks, don't worry. Simply cook the fish by immersing it in the wine in a baking dish. This is more like poaching the fish instead of steaming it, but the flavors are still simple and delicious.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 to 25 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
• 2 whole dressed freshwater trout (8 - 9 ounces each)
• 2 teaspoons fermented black soybeans (see the note that follows)
• 1 tablespoon peeled and grated fresh ginger
• 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
• 2 tablespoons soy sauce
• 1 cup dry white wine
• 1/2 cup 2-inch carrot strips
• 2 green onions, cut in diagonal strips
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place your fish on a cutting board, and with a sharp knife, score the fish in a crisscross pattern. Make the cuts about 1/4 inch deep and about 3/4 inch apart. Set aside.
2. Drain and rinse the black soybeans.
3. Combine the black soybeans, grated ginger, and minced garlic in a small bowl, mixing well. Place 1 teaspoon of the mixture in each fish cavity.
4. Using a 13-x-9-inch baking dish, arrange 4 chopsticks across the bottom of the baking dish. Place the fish on top of the chopsticks.
5. Dribble the soy sauce over the fish. Evenly distribute the remainder of the black soybean mixture over the top of the fish.
6. Pour the wine in the bottom of the baking dish, under the fish.
7. Place the carrot and onion strips crisscross-style across the tops of the fish.
8. Cover the baking dish tightly with aluminum foil. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Testing fish for doneness is done a little differently with a whole fish. Press the fish with your finger; the area around the spot where you apply pressure will break into firm flakes. Also, the fish will easily pull away from the bones.
Per serving: Calories 125 (From Fat 37); Fat 4g (Saturated 1g); Cholesterol 32mg; Sodium 962mg; Carbohydrate 6g; Dietary Fiber 1g (Nat Carbohydrate 3g); Protein 15g.