POT ROAST RABBIT WITH TOMATO AND WHITE BEANS
The Essential Diabetes Cookbook
by Antony Thompson
The Northern Italians love a good stew, and this one is really gutsy, with strong flavors. Ask your butcher to joint the rabbit for you. If bunny is not your thing, then use skinless chicken thighs instead.
• 1 rabbit, Jointed (legs, shoulders, belly flaps cut into strips, the saddle and neck cut into 4)
• freshly ground black pepper
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 bunch baby carrots, about 12
• 4 shallots, cut in half through the root
• 2 oz thick-cut bacon, cut into lardons
• 8 garlic cloves
• 3/4 cup dry white wine
• 2 cups chicken stock
• 2 bay leaves
• 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
• grated zest and juice of 1 orange
• 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
• 1 (14-oz) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
• 1 tablespoon anchovy extract
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Season the rabbit pieces with ground black pepper. In a flameproof casserole or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat and brown the rabbit pieces all over. Remove the meat and set aside.
2. Put the carrots into the casserole, add the shallots, bacon, and whole garlic cloves, and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until everything has a golden color.
3. Pour in the wine, scrape the bottom of the casserole to remove any residue, then add the stock, bay leaves, thyme, and orange juice. Return the rabbit to the dish and stir. Cover, transfer to the preheated oven, and cook for 40 minutes, stirring from time to time.
4. With a slotted spoon, transfer the meat and vegetables to a serving platter and keep warm. To the juices in the pan add the cherry tomatoes, cannellini beans, and anchovy extract. Bring to a boil and reduce the juices by one third. Meanwhile, combine the orange zest with the parsley.
5. Spoon the tomato and bean sauce over the rabbit and vegetables, and sprinkle with the orange parsley.
Amount per portion: Energy 356 cals.Protein 38.1g, Fat 13.0g, Saturated fat 4.0g, Carbohydrate 21.1g, Total sugars 9.3g, Fiber 6.lg, Salt 2.43g, Sodium 955mg