MULLET - BLACK EYED MULLET
Makes 6 servings
• 1/2 pound smoked, grilled, or broiled Florida mullet meat
• 2 15-ounce cans black-eyed peas
• 1/2 cup chopped onion
• 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
• 2 teaspoons minced garlic
• 1 teaspoon liquid hot pepper sauce
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 cup cider vinegar
Break fish into bite sized portions, set aside.
Mash peas lightly, just until all are broken.
Combine peas, onion, pepper, garlic, pepper sauce, salt and vinegar in a saucepan and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
Reduce heat to low, add mullet and cook until heated through.
Serve immediately as a side dish.
Per serving: Calories 264, Calories from fat 36, Total fat 4g, Saturated fat 1g, Cholesterol 36mg, Total carbohydrate 33g, Protein 25g.
Florida Dept of Agriculture & Consumer Services