Manx Smoked Salmon with a Kipper Mousse on a Cucumber Base
by Rick Wakeman (An authentic recipe from the Isle of Man)
Preparation time 30 mins - 1 hour
Cooking time 10 - 30 mins
450g/1lb smoked salmon, sliced
40g/1½ oz chopped chives
1/4 cucumber, thinly sliced strips using a peeler
1/4 tomato, skinned, de-seeded and cut into strips
1. Boil the kippers in salt water
2. Cover a greaseproof tray in foil and line four mousse rings with smoked salmon, with some of the slices protruding over the edge.
3. When the kippers are boiled, refresh in cold running water for 3-5 minutes. Then fillet, skin and place them in a blender.
4. Switch the blender on and gradually add the cream.
5. Add the chives.
6. Fill the mousse rings with the blender mixture and shake the tray to ensure there are no air pockets underneath.
7. Fold over the ends of the smoked salmon slices and turn the mousses over. Cover in cling film and place in refrigerator.
8. Place approximately six slices of the cucumber flesh in the centre of each plate.
9. Remove the mousse from the refrigerator and ease from the mousse rings, turning upside down, on top of cucumber bed.
10. Criss-cross more strips of cucumber skin and the tomato strips on top of the mousse and serve.
Recipe graciously provided by Island Seafare Limited: providers of the freshest fish and the highest quality King and Queen Scallops fished daily from the clear waters surrounding the Isle of Man.
Click here for 300 Classic Seafood Recipes from 1747 to 2003