FOCACCIA, ROSEMARY & SWEET ONION FOCACCIA
Makes 6 servings
• 3½ cups all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon white sugar
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
• 1 cup water
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 1 egg
• Nonfat cooking spray
• 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
• 1 sweet onion (i.e. Walla Walla, Vidalia, etc.), thinly sliced and separated into rings
• 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup of the flour, sugar, salt, and yeast and mix well.
2. Heat water and vegetable oil until warm, and add to flour mixture and then add the egg. Blend with an electric mixer at low speed until moistened. Beat for 2 additional minutes.
3. Gradually add 1¾ cups flour while beating, until dough pulls away from side of bowl. Knead in 3/4 cup flour on floured surface.
4. Cover dough with a bowl, and let stand for 5 minutes.
5. Spray a baking sheet with nonfat cooking spray. Press the dough out evenly onto the pan. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise for 20-30 minutes.
6. Uncover dough, and press indentations with your fingers at 1 inch intervals. Spray dough lightly with nonfat cooking spray and sprinkle with crushed rosemary and Parmesan cheese. Arrange onion rings evenly over the dough. Sprinkle lightly with salt.
7. Bake at 400º F for 15 minutes, until golden brown.
8. Cut into wedges and serve warm.
Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe (111 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount per serving
Calories from fat 66
Total Fat 7 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 38 mg
Sodium 463 mg
Total Carbohydrates 59 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g
Sugars 1 g
Protein 11 g
Vitamin A 2%
Vitamin C 2%
King County Washington Public Health - www.metrokc.gov