CARAMEL CREAM APPLE CRUNCH PIE
Gloria Piantek and Miranda Koors, Skillman, NJ and West Lafayette, IN. Winner in the 2005 Crisco® All-American Pie Recipe Contest.
Makes 8 servings.
Classic Crisco Pie Crust
1-1/3 level cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 Crisco All-Vegetable Shortening Stick or 1/2 level cup Crisco All-Vegetable Shortening
3 tablespoons cold water
1 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup finely crushed gingersnap cookies
1/2 cup Crisco Butter Flavor Shortening
1 cup toffee roasted or plain sliced almonds, coarsely crushed
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
6 Granny Smith or Gala apples, peeled, cored, sliced into 1/4-inch slices
1/4 cup caramel topping
1 6-ounce container vanilla yogurt
1-1/2 tablespoons flour
1/2 of prepared crumb mixture made for crust
Whipped cream (optional)
2 tablespoons caramel topping
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. In medium bowl, mix flour and salt.
3. Cut in Crisco using pastry blender until mixture resembles small peas. Sprinkle with water, one tablespoon at a time.
4. Mix lightly until dough holds together. Press between hands to form one or two 5- to 6-inch pancakes.
5. Flour dough lightly and roll into circle between sheets of waxed paper on dampened countertop. Peel off top sheet.
6. In a 9-inch or 10-inch pie pan, press in pie crust; flute edge. Set aside.
1. In small bowl, mix flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and gingersnap crumbs.
2. Cut in Crisco to form crumb mixture.
3. Stir in almond pieces.
4. Sprinkle 1 cup of crumb mixture over pie crust. Set aside remainder of crumb topping.
1. In large saucepan, combine sugars, flour, cinnamon and salt; mix in apple slices.
2. Cook over medium heat for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally until mixture starts to thicken.
3. Remove from heat, stir in caramel topping.
4. Blend in yogurt and flour. Set aside.
1. Spoon filling into prepared pie crust.
2. Sprinkle top with remaining crumbs.
3. Place on cookie sheet for easier handling, and bake for 50 minutes or until browned and apples are tender. Cover crust with foil last 10 minutes if it browns too quickly.
4. Let pie cool before cutting.
5. Drizzle top with caramel topping.
6. Serve slices of pie with a dollop of whipped cream, if desired.
The All-American Pie Recipe Contest recognizes home bakers around the country for their culinary skills and dedication to the tradition of pie making. It also celebrates Crisco's role in creating delicious homemade pies and baked goods for generations. The winners compete with other bakers from around the country in the American Pie Council/Crisco National Pie Championships for the grand prize and national pie making title. For more information about the Great American Pie Festival and National Pie Championships, visit www.piecouncil.org