BROCCOLI, GARLICKY CREAM OF BROCCOLI SOUP
Recipe from Robin to the Rescue
What a warm and wonderful addition to any meal—and so simple to prepare. I like to serve sourdough rolls dunked in basil-infused olive oil on the side.
Total Time: 20 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Walk-away time: 10 minutes
• 4 cups fresh or thawed frozen broccoli florets
• 1/2 cup chopped onion
• 1 stalk celery, chopped
• 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 3 cups reduced-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
• 2 cups milk (preferably 1% milk fat or higher)
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. In a large saucepan, combine the broccoli, onion, celery, carrot, and garlic. Pour in the broth and set the pan over high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium, and simmer until the vegetables are knife-tender, about 10 minutes.
2. Using an immersion blender, puree until smooth (or use a regular blender and work in batches; return the soup to the pan). Add the milk and simmer for 1 minute to heat through. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Make it a meal kit: Chop the vegetables and store in a scalable container or plastic bag for up to 4 days in the refrigerator or 3 months in the freezer. When ready to finish the meal, cook the vegetables as directed (no need to thaw them first). The finished soup will also keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
Bank a batch: Make a double batch of the soup and store the extra for up to 3 months in the freezer. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or in the microwave for 4 to 6 minutes on LOW. Reheat in a large saucepan over medium heat or in the microwave for a few minutes on HIGH.
Have it your way: Asparagus snapped into small pieces, cauliflower florets, or seeded and coarsely chopped red bell pepper may be substituted for the broccoli so you can enjoy a completely different soup any time you desire!