See also: Conch Article
BAHAMIAN CONCH CHOWDER
Whole Foods Market Cookbook
by Steve Petusevsky & Whole Foods Market Team
Serves 6 To 8
Conchs are strange and curious mollusks that are quite popular in South Florida. Most of the conchs used there come from the Bahamas, where they are plentiful. If you can't get frozen conchs, chopped clams make a great substitute. If you use chopped clams, add them at the last moment to keep them tender. This soup is delicious with toasted bread rounds. This chowder is chunky, spicy, and packed with textures, colors, and robust flavor. Bahamian spices such as allspice and thyme, combined with the pungent last minute addition of green onions, give this soup an unusual twist.
• 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 2 stalks celery, chopped
• 2 large carrots, chopped
• 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
• 1 medium potato, sweet potato, or yucca, peeled and chopped
• 1 teaspoon dried thyme, or 6 sprigs fresh
• 1/4 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
• 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
• 3 bay leaves
• 1 (16-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
• 1 (16-ounce) can clam juice
• 2 cups cold water
• 1 pound chopped frozen conch, defrosted, or 16 ounces chopped clams with liquid
• 1 tablespoon malt or red wine vinegar
• 6 sprigs parsley, chopped
• 4 scallions, minced
• Salt to taste
• Cayenne pepper to taste
Heat the olive or canola oil in a large sauce pot over medium heat.
Saute the onion, celery, carrots, red pepper, potato, thyme, red chili flakes, allspice, and bay leaves for 5 minutes, until they begin to soften.
Add the tomatoes, clam juice, and cold water.
Bring to a boil and immediately lower to a simmer.
If using defrosted conch meat, add now and cook for 35 minutes, uncovered.
Then add the malt, parsley, scallions, salt, and cayenne pepper, and simmer for 5 minutes.
If using chopped clams, add now along with the malt or red wine vinegar, parsley, scallions, salt, and cayenne pepper, and simmer for 5 minutes longer.
PER 1-CUP SERVING: Calories 80; Calories From Fat 10; Calories From Saturated Fat 0; Protein 7 G; Carbohydrate 10 G; Total Fat 1.5 G; Saturated Fat 0 G; Cholesterol 15 Mg; Sodium 170 Mg; 13% Calories From Fat