See also: Healthy Food Choices Videos
National Nutrition Month is upon us – why not make it a family decision by taking the 'Just One More for Healthy Living' pledge at www.eatjustonemore.com. The campaign is dedicated to encouraging families to incorporate an additional serving of fruits and veggies daily and lean protein weekly. They are manageable steps that produce big results.
There are lots of small steps you can take to ensure you and your family is eating healthy amounts of the right foods.
• Be Creative. Try something different, like washing and clipping grapes into small bunches and putting them in the freezer. Try with bananas too!
• Cut Down on Fat. Try low-fat dairy products, poultry without skin and lean meats to get flavor without a lot of calories.
• Serve healthy snacks and have smaller meals. Stock your kitchen with healthy lunch and snack foods, such as raisins, popcorn, sliced vegetables and fruit.
• Don’t use food as punishment or reward.
• Keep Track. Let your kids “eat the rainbow.” Keep a chart on the fridge so your kids can record each color fruit or vegetable they have each day. You can also have then plan, shop for and prepare meals – they are likely to make better choices when they are involved in the process.
• Get Moving. Encourage informal play virtually everyday. If you can’t participate with your kids during the week, plan on being active during the weekend. Go skating, walk your dog, clean the house…
• Turn off the TV. Never eat in front of the TV and encourage your children to do something active instead of watching TV.
Here are some delicious recipes to get you started and guaranteed your whole family will love!
FOR BREAKFAST TRY:
Prep Time: 5 minutes
• 1½ cups low-fat granola or other dry cereal
• 1 cup low-fat plain or vanilla yogurt
• 1 can (15.25 oz.) Del Monte Lite Fruit Cocktail, drained
In tall glasses, spoon alternating layers of granola or any other dry cereal, yogurt and fruit cocktail.
For easy variety use any 6 pack of single serving assorted dry cereals and Fruits.
Calories 360/ Total Fat 4g/ Saturated Fat 1.5g/ Cholesterol 5mg/ Sodium 11mg/ Carbohydrates 78g/ Fiber 4g/ Protein 9g
FOR LUNCH TRY:
CORN AND CHICKEN TOSTADA
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 0 minutes
• 4 tostada shells or tortilla chips
• 6 or 1¼ oz or cups chicken strips, cooked
• 2/3 cup salsa or taco sauce
• 1 or 11 can or oz Del Monte Golden Sweet Corn, drained
• Lettuce, Shredded
• Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
Warm tostada shells according to package directions. Meanwhile, combine chicken, salsa and corn in medium saucepan. Heat through. Layer lettuce, cheese and corn mixture on tostada shells or over tortilla chips. Serve with sour cream, if desired.
Calories 320/ Total Fat 14g/ Saturated Fat 7g/ Cholesterol 65mg/ Sodium 570mg/ Carbohydrates 23g/ Fiber 4g/ Protein 24g
FRESH MOZZARELLA - TOMATO PIZZETTAS
Prep Time: 8 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
• 4 pizza crusts, individually prepared, pre-baked
• 1/4 cup pesto
• 1 cup sliced fresh mozzarella cheese
• 1 or 14.5 can Petite-cut diced tomatoes with roasted garlic & sweet onion, drained
• 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
Preheat oven to 425°F. Place pizza crusts on baking sheet. Spread pesto over crusts. Bake 10 minutes.
Top with mozzarella and tomatoes. Bake 1 minute just to soften mozzarella (do not melt completely).
Sprinkle with basil and drizzle with olive oil, if desired.
Calories 580/ Total Fat 24g/ Saturated Fat 8g/ Cholesterol 25mg/ Sodium 1310mg/ Carbohydrates 70g/ Fiber 3g/ Protein 22g
FOR DINNER TRY:
BEEF MACARONI AND CHEESE
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
• 1 lb. ground beef
• 1 cup chopped onion
• 1 can (14½ oz) Del Monte Diced Tomatoes with Basil, Garlic & Oregano
• 1 cup elbow macaroni
• 1½ cups shredded Cheddar Cheese
Brown meat and onion over medium-high heat in skillet; drain. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
Add tomatoes and 1 cup water; bring to boil.
Stir in macaroni. Cover and simmer 10 minutes or until cooked.
Stir in cheese. Garnish with sour cream, if desired.
Calories 430/ Total Fat 18g/ Saturated Fat 8g/ Cholesterol 95mg/ Sodium 780mg/ Carbohydrates 36g/ Fiber 4g/ Protein 34g
FOR DESSERT TRY:
CARAMELIZED PINEAPPLE WITH ICE CREAM
Prep Time: 3 minutes
Cooking Time: 7 minutes
• 1 can (15½ oz.) Del Monte Pineapple Chunks in Syrup
• 2 Tbsp. firmly packed brown sugar
• 1 Tbsp. melted butter
Spread pineapple with 2 tablespoons syrup in 2-quart baking dish. Top with sugar and drizzle with butter. Bake at 450°F 7 minutes or until lightly browned. Spoon hot pineapple over ice cream. Serve immediately.
Please feel free to link to any pages of FoodReference.com from your website.
For permission to use any of this content please E-mail: email@example.com
All contents are copyright © 1990 - 2015 James T. Ehler and www.FoodReference.com unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved.
You may copy and use portions of this website for non-commercial, personal use only.
Any other use of these materials without prior written authorization is not very nice and violates the copyright.
Please take the time to request permission.