See also: Healthy Food Choices Videos
Fitness Tips: Walk Your Way To Fun
“The sum of the whole is this: walk and be happy; walk and be healthy. The best way to lengthen out our days is to walk steadily and with a purpose.”
– Charles Dickens
Keeping your mind and body healthy is hard work, but a little exercise can help relieve stress, improve your mood and give you a great figure. So take a break from your hectic schedule, get outside and enjoy the day. A great way to work your body and relax your mind is with a brisk walk. In fact, walking for as little as 20 to 30 minutes three times a week can help you feel more energetic, happier and calmer.
(National Institute of Health).
Keep track of your steps along the way to monitor your progress and check out some of these helpful tips to help jazz up your usual walk:
1) Find a Friend: Working out with a buddy may improve your chances of success by making exercise feel easier. Find an enthusiastic co-worker and escape the office for some lunchtime exercise.
2) Make it a game: Use a pedometer to keep track of the number of steps you walk every day. Strive to beat that number on a daily basis. If you’re extremely competitive, challenge your children and spouse to a ‘Step off.’
3) Entertain a party: Plan a progressive dinner where each course is a walk away from the next. Start with healthy appetizers at one house, the main course at the next and a dessert at the third.
4) Explore around town: Plan a scavenger hunt for your kids with a list of items they can find around town. Don’t plan your route. Instead, make decisions at every turn based on where the list leads you or what looks interesting.
The Surgeon General challenges us all to take 10,000 steps per day – and pedometers are a great way to track your steps. But, how far is 10,000 steps? Using an average person's stride of 2.5 feet, this translates to approximately five miles.
5) Surprise yourself: Keep it interesting by putting a series of numbers ranging from 8,500 to 14,000 in a hat. Each morning, pull a new number and commit to walking that many steps that day.
6) Enjoy a mini-getaway: Plan a trip with your spouse that takes you on a walk ending at your favorite café or shop. Spend some time together before heading back.
7) Plan a picnic: Pack a light picnic lunch, gather your family and head to a local park. Eat, feed the birds or play at the park before heading back.
8) Walking golf: Pair up with someone and create an imaginary golf course. To reach each hole, a different number of steps have to be achieved. For example: first 1,600 steps, second 1,800 steps, third 2,630 steps, etc. Both competitors have to finish each hole before steps can be counted for the next hole. The first person to reach each hole receives a point and the most points wins a prize!
9) Follow a new lead: Let your dog lead the way or try to keep up with your kids as they bike next to you.
10) Reward yourself: A new pair of shoes, workout pants and even socks are all perfect and appropriate rewards. Plan to positively reinforce yourself with a gift to help keep you motivated and show off your fit figure. Or, if a massage is up your alley, schedule an appointment.
Courtesy of Alpine Lace® Deli Cheese
Visit www.alpinelace.com for delicious recipes and tips for healthier lifestyles.