(April 2, 742 - January 28, 814)
Charlemagne, Charles I, Charles the Great, King of the Franks, Charles le Grand, Carolus Magnus, Karl Der Grosse, King of the Lombards, master of Western Europe, Emperor.
Charlemagne tried to introduce the fig to the Netherlands in 812 A.D., but was unsuccessful because the fruit could not adapt to the cold weather.
Some of the other food related 'facts' I have come across related to Charlemagne:
* The peacock was first served in Europe during his reign
* Sauerbraten was invented by Charlemagne
* Roquefort cheese was a favorite of his
* The knife began to be used to eat food for the first time during his reign (rather than the fingers)
* Roses were used to cover tables for meals.
I have no real corroboration for any of these 'facts'.