CHUCK WAGON CHILI
Weight Watchers All Time Favorites
Hands-On Prep: 10 Min
Cook: 45 Min
• 1 tablespoon chili powder
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1 (15 1/2-ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
• 6 tablespoons fat-free shredded cheddar cheese
• 3 scallions, thinly sliced
• Fat-free sour cream (optional)
• 2 teaspoons canola oil
• 1/2 pound ground lean beef (7% fat or less)
• 1/2 pound ground lean pork
• 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
• 1 onion, chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
• 1/4 cup water
• 2 tablespoons seeded and finely chopped jalapeno peppers (wear gloves to prevent irritation)
1. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium heat. Add the beef and pork; cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 6 minutes. Add the bell pepper, onion, and garlic; cook, stirring, until softened, 3—5 minutes.
2. Stir in the tomatoes, water, jalapeno peppers, chili powder, cumin, salt, and oregano; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes. Stir in the beans and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Serve with the cheese, scallions, and sour cream, if using.
Good Idea: If you like, sprinkle 6 crushed baked low-fat tortilla chips on top of each serving (the per-serving Points value will increase by (). Be sure to deduct it from your weekly Points Allowance.
Nutrition Per Serving (1 1/2 cups chili, 1 tablespoon cheese, and 1 tablespoon scallion without sour cream): 225 Cal, 6 g Fat, 2 g Sat Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 47 mg Chol, 887 mg Sod, 20 g Carb, 6 g Fib, 24 g Prot, 131 mg Calc.
Points value: 4.