THAI SHRIMP AND MANGO SALAD
(Yam Koong Ma Muang)
Serving Size: 6
• 2 Large Green or Red Sweet Peppers -- `
• 2 Mangos
• as needed Lemon Juice
• 2 Pounds Medium Shrimp
• 2 Tablespoons Peanut or Sesame Oil
• 2 Cloves Garlic -- minced
• 2 Tablespoons Shallots -- minced
• 1/2 Teaspoon Anchovy Paste
• 1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
• 2 Tablespoons Peanuts, Dry-roasted Unsalted -- crushed
• 1½ Cups Coconut Cream -- see below
• 2 Red or Green Chili Peppers -- chopped fine Or 2 Teaspoons Dried, Crushed Red Pepper
1) Hold peppers on a fork over a flame, turning slowly until all the skin is charred. Peel off skin, remove seeds and white inner filaments and slice peppers into thin strips.
2) Peel mangos and cut into thin strips. Sprinkle with some lemon juice.
3) Broil shrimps until done (about 7-8 minutes) turning once. Shell, devein and cut each into 4 slices.
4) Combine shrimp, mango and peppers in a bowl.
5) Heat oil and saute garlic and shallots until golden brown. When done, add to the shrimp mixture.
6) Blend anchovy paste and soy sauce, add to the shrimp mixture and toss lightly.
7) Sprinkle with peanuts, then add the coconut cream gradually until all ingredients are coated.
8) Season to taste with additional soy sauce and/or anchovy paste.
Garnish with the chili peppers and serve at room temperature.
Serving Ideas: If mangoes are not available, you can use 2 medium size apples: peel, core, slice and sprinkle with lemon juice.
NOTES: TO MAKE YOUR OWN COCONUT CREAM:
Grate white meat of 2 coconuts or 2 cups UNsweetened shredded coconut.
Place in 2 cups scalded milk. Let steep in hot milk for 20 minutes. Strain through cheesecloth, pressing all liquid out of coconut meat.
Source: "Adapted from The Horizon Cookbook and Illustrated History of Eating and Drinking through the Ages (1968)"