SWEET POTATO CURRIED CAULIFLOWER SOUP
Vegan Cook's Bible
by Pat Crocker
This is a delightfully sweet and tasty soup with just a hint of complex spices. Omit or reduce the dates for a more savory dish. For a creamy soup, puree the mixture using an immersion blender or in batches using either a blender or a food processor.
• 1 tsp whole cumin seeds
• 1/2 tsp whole fennel seeds
• 1/2 tsp whole coriander seeds
• 5 tbsp olive oil, divided
• 1/4 head cauliflower chopped into coarse pieces
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 1 piece (1 inch) candied ginger; finely chopped
• 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
• 4 cups vegetable stock or water
• 2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
• 6 dates, coarsely chopped
• 1 tbsp Yellow Curry Spice or curry powder
1. In a large, heavy skillet, toast cumin, fennel and coriander seeds over medium-high heat until the seeds begin to pop and their fragrance is released, about 2 minutes. Do not allow to smoke or burn. Add 2 tbsp of the oil to pan and heat. Stir in cauliflower. Reduce heat to medium- low and cook, stirring frequently, for 8 minutes or until cauliflower is caramelized and tender when pierced with the tip of a knife. Set the pan aside.
2. In a soup pot, heat 2 tbsp of the oil over medium heat. Stir in onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until slightly softened. Add remaining oil, garlic, ginger and sweet potato and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Stir in stock, tamari and dates. Increase heat and bring to a light boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until sweet potato is soft.
3. Using a potato masher or fork, mash sweet potato in pot to thicken soup. Add curry and cauliflower. Simmer for 3 minutes or until cauliflower is heated through.