BRICKLE TICKLE SWEET POTATO PIE
Sandra Klingler and McLaurine Klingler; Auburn, AL. Winner in the 2005 Crisco® All-American Pie Recipe Contest.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 cup Crisco Butter Flavor Shortening (chilled)
5 to 6 teaspoons ice water
Filling for first layer:
1/2 cup sliced almonds
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons brown sugar
Filling for second layer:
1-1/4 cups mashed baked sweet potatoes (about 3-4 medium)
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup heavy cream
6 tablespoons Crisco Butter Flavor Shortening, melted
1/2 cup toasted sweet coconut, crumbled
1/2 cup toffee bits
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 egg whites
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 7-ounce jar marshmallow creme
Additional toasted sweet coconut to sprinkle over top
1. In medium bowl, combine flour, salt, and sugar.
2. Cut in Crisco using pastry blender until mixture resembles small peas.
3. Sprinkle water over mixture one tablespoon at a time and mix until dough holds together.
4. Divide dough into 2 pieces: 2/3 of dough for crust and 1/3 of dough for decorative leaves around crust.
5. Press dough into 2 flattened rounds; lightly flour rolling surface and rolling pin.
6. Roll larger round into circle to fit 9-inch pie plate. Fold dough into quarters, unfold, and press into pie plate.
7. Roll other round and cut decorative leaves to place around outer crust, using ice water to attach.
8. Cover crust with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator while preparing filling.
Make first filling layer:
1. In medium sauce pan over medium high heat, combine almonds, maple syrup, and brown sugar.
2. Stir gently until mixture comes to full boil.
3. Boil 1 minute.
4. Turn out on to wax paper and cool.
Make second filing layer:
1. Heat oven to 350° F.
2. In medium bowl combine sweet potatoes, sugar, maple syrup, egg yolks, heavy cream, melted Crisco Butter Flavor Shortening, toasted crumbled coconut, toffee bits, and vanilla.
3. Mix until well blended. Set aside.
1. In medium bowl, beat egg whites and salt until soft peaks form.
2. Gradually add marshmallow creme.
3. Beat until stiff peaks form.
1. Remove pie crust from refrigerator.
2. Crumble first layer and sprinkle evenly over bottom of prepared crust.
3. Gently pour second layer over first layer.
4. Bake at 350° F for 45 minutes.
5. Increase oven temperature to 375° F.
6. Spread topping over filling, covering completely and sealing to edge of pie.
7. Bake at 375° F for 8 to 10 minutes until lightly browned.
8. Sprinkle with additional toasted coconut and serve.
9. Store any remaining pie loosely covered in refrigerator.
The All-American Pie Recipe Contest recognizes home bakers around the country for their culinary skills and dedication to the tradition of pie making. It also celebrates Crisco's role in creating delicious homemade pies and baked goods for generations. The winners compete with other bakers from around the country in the American Pie Council/Crisco National Pie Championships for the grand prize and national pie making title. For more information about the Great American Pie Festival and National Pie Championships, visit www.piecouncil.org