SPICE STUFFED OKRA
• 1 tablespoon ground coriander
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon mango powder
• 1 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
• 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
• 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
• 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
• 1/2 teaspoon chill powder
• Salt to taste
• 1 1/2 pounds fresh tender okra, rinsed and patted dry
• 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
• 1 large onion, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
• 1 large tomato, coarsely chopped
In a small bowl, mix together the first eight spices and salt.
Remove the ends of the okra stems and discard. Make a long slit on one side from the stem down, stopping 1/2-inch from the tip. (This forms a pocket for the stuffing, but keeps the okra intact). Stuff 1/2 teaspoon of the spice mixture into each okra pocket. Reserve any leftover spice mixture.
Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in flat nonstick skillet and add the cumin seeds, they should sizzle upon contact with the hot oil. Quickly add the onion and cook, stirring, over medium-high heat until golden, about 5 minutes.With a slotted spatula, transfer to a bowl, leaving behind any oil.
Lay the stuffed okra in the skillet in a single layer. Drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil on top and cook over medium-low heat, turning the pieces very carefully, until golden brown, about 10 to 15 minutes. Scatter the cooked onions over the okras and then add any leftover spices. Mix carefully and cook over medium-low heat, turning occasionally, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter.
Add the tomatoes to the skillet and cook over high heat until wilted and coated with any spices left in the skillet, about 2 minutes. Transfer to the platter and serve.