SHRIMP BIGARADE WITH ORANGE ZEST AND JUICE
Makes 4 servings.
· 1 large Florida orange, zested and juiced
· 1 bay leaf
· 2 sprigs thyme
· 12 jumbo shrimp, cleaned, pooled and de-veined
· 1 tablespoon olive oil
· 2 large shallots, finely diced
· 2 teaspoons brown sugar
· 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
· 1½ cups Florida orange juice
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
· 2 tablespoons cut scallion, cut on a bias
In a stainless steel bowl combine the zest and juice from 1 large Florida orange, bay leaf, thyme and shrimp, Cover and marinate for 1 hour.
Warm olive oil in a large saute pan. Add shallots and cook until translucent, approximately 5 minutes.
Add shrimp with marinade and saute for approximately 1 minute on medium heat.
Add brown sugar and mix until dissolved.
Add champagne vinegar and stir together.
Then pour in the 1 1/2 cups of Florida orange juice and bring the mixture to a simmer.
Remove the shrimp and reduce the liquid by half.
Remove and discard the thyme and bay leaf.
Season sauce with salt and pepper and continue to cook until thickened.
Serve on bed of rice. Pour the sauce over the shrimp.
Garnish with diced scallions, if desired.
Florida Department of Citrus
Chef Allen Susser of Chef Allen's, North Miami