QUINOA PILAF WITH SALMON AND ASPARAGUS
Betty Tip: This main dish tastes as good as it looks and will be requested again and again. Vegetable broth and chicken broth are available in convenient 32-ounce resealable cartons. Cooking grains in broth adds flavor and pizzazz to your recipes.
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Start To Finish: 30 Minutes
4 Servings (1 3/4 cups each)
Whole Grain Serving: 2
• 1 cup uncooked quinoa
• 6 cups water
• 1 vegetable bouillon cube
• 1 lb salmon fillets
• 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
• 20 stalks fresh asparagus, cut diagonally into 2-inch pieces (2 cups)
• 4 medium green onions, sliced (1/4 cup)
• 1 cup frozen sweet peas (from 1-lb bag), thawed
• 1/2 cup halved grape tomatoes
• 1/2 cup vegetable or chicken broth
• 1 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
• 2 teaspoons chopped fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
1. Rinse quinoa thoroughly by placing in a fine-mesh strainer and holding under cold running water until water runs clear; drain well.
2. In 2-quart saucepan, heat 2 cups of the water to boiling over high heat. Add quinoa; reduce heat to low. Cover; simmer 10 to 12 minutes or until water is absorbed.
3. Meanwhile, in 12-inch skillet, heat remaining 4 cups water and bouillon cube to boiling over high heat. Add salmon, skin side up; reduce heat to low. Cover; simmer 10 to 12 minutes or until fish flakes easily with fork. Remove with slotted spoon to plate; let cool. Discard water. Remove skin from salmon; break into large pieces.
4. Meanwhile, rinse and dry skillet. Melt butter in skillet over medium heat. Add asparagus; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in onions; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Stir in peas, tomatoes and broth; cook 1 minute.
5. Gently stir quinoa, salmon, lemon-pepper seasoning and dill weed into asparagus mixture. Cover; cook about 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
1 Serving: Calories 420 (Calories from Fat 140); Total Fat 15g (Saturated Fat 6g; Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 90mg; Sodium 650mg; Total Carbohydrate 37g (Dietary Fiber 5g; Sugars 6g); Protein 34g
% Daily Value: Vitamin A 35%; Vitamin C 20%; Calcium 8%; Iron 30%
Exchanges: 1½ Starch, 1/2 Other Carbohydrate, 1 Vegetable, 4 Lean Meat, 1/2 Fat
Carbohydrate Choices: 2½