PROTEIN PEA SOUP
Super Immunity Foods
by Frances Sheridan Goulart
Did you know that peas have more protein than any other green vegetable? For even more protein, add tofu cubes, plain, smoked, or flavored, to this soup.
Yield: 4 to 5 servings
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
• 1 small leek, split lengthwise, thinly sliced
• 3 cups fresh or frozen and thawed peas
• 2 stalks celery, diced
• 1 teaspoon lemon zest
• 2 cups plain soy milk or skim dairy milk
• 2 cups spring water
• 2 tablespoons white wine
• Salt and pepper or kelp powder, to taste
• 2 to 3 green onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal, for garnish
• Lemon slices for garnish
• Flaxseeds or hemp seeds for garnish
Place leek, peas, celery, and lemon zest in a soup pot. Add soy milk, water, wine, and pinch of salt. Cover, and bring to a boil over medium heat.
Reduce heat to low, and cook for 15 minutes.
Season to taste with salt and pepper (or kelp powder), and simmer for 5 minutes.
Transfer soup by the ladleful to a food processor or blender, and puree until smooth.
Return soup to the pot, and simmer 2 minutes longer.
Serve garnished with green onions, lemon, and flaxseeds or hemp seeds.
> Substitute asparagus for peas.
> Use lime in place of lemon.
> Use a mild low-sodium vegetable broth in place of water.