GRILLED YOGURT ENCRUSTED CORNISH HENS WITH COUSCOUS
Outdoor Dutch Oven Cookbook
by Sheila Mills
The yogurt marinade tenderizes the hens and forms a great crust during grilling. Chicken pieces may be used in lieu of Cornish hens.
Yield: 4 to 8 servings
• 2 cups plain, nonfat yogurt
• 2 tablespoons minced garlic
• 2 tablespoons chopped ginger root
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1/4 cup curry powder, or to taste
• 4 Cornish hens, split in half, with skin removed
• 1 package (10½ ounces) couscous, cooked according to package directions
• plain yogurt, chopped fresh cilantro, chutney, chopped peanuts, and/or toasted sesame seeds for garnish
In a food processor or with a whisk, combine yogurt, garlic, ginger root, and olive oil until smooth. Blend in curry powder. Pour over hens and marinate, covered, in refrigerator or cooler for 12 hours. Occasionally stir or shake container to coat thoroughly.
Remove from refrigerator or cooler about 30 minutes before cooking. In a Dutch oven grill over hot coals until browned and done, about 10 minutes on each side. Serve hot or at room temperature with prepared couscous and condiments such as plain yogurt, chopped cilantro, chutney, chopped peanuts, or toasted sesame seeds.