CORNMEAL CRUSTED SCALLOPS WITH HEIRLOOM BEAN AND OREGANO SUCCOTASH
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Makes 6 servings.
• 1 cup dried heirloom black beans, such as Black Valentine, Black Turtle or Midnight Black Beans
• 1/2 cup dried heirloom lima beans, such as Henderson’s Baby Lima, Giant White Lima or Christmas Lima
• 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
• 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
• 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
• 1 can (8¾ ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
• 2 tablespoons lime juice
• 1¼ teaspoons McCormick Gourmet Collection Mexican Oregano Leaves, divided
• 3/4 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet Collection Sicilian Sea Salt, divided
• 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet Collection Ground Cumin, divided
• 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet Collection Coarse Grind Black Pepper, divided
• 1/4 cup cornmeal
• 1 pound large sea scallops
1. Soak and cook black beans and lima beans as directed on package until tender. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat. Add bell pepper and onion; cook and stir 1 minute or until slightly softened. Add cooked black beans and lima beans, corn, lime juice, 1 teaspoon of the oregano, 1/2 teaspoon of the sea salt, and 1/4 teaspoon each of the cumin and pepper; cook 1 minute or until heated through. Spoon succotash into medium bowl. Cover to keep warm.
3. Mix cornmeal and remaining 1/4 teaspoon each oregano, sea salt, cumin and pepper in shallow dish. Pat scallops dry with paper towels. Lightly coat scallops in cornmeal mixture.
4. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in same nonstick skillet on medium-high heat. Add scallops; cook 3-4 minutes or until crust is golden brown and scallops are opaque, turning once. To serve, spoon succotash onto serving plates. Arrange scallops over succotash.
* To prepare with Canned Beans: Omit Step 1 and substitute 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed, and 1 cup frozen baby lima beans, thawed, for the heirloom beans. Add to the skillet with the corn, lime juice and seasonings.
Recipe from McCormick® - Spices & Seasonings