CORN CHEDDAR RISOTTO WITH SHRIMP
Makes 6 serviings
• 4 cups (32 ounces) 99% fat-free chicken broth
• 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves or 3 sprigs fresh thyme
• 1 1/2 pounds unpeeled raw shrimp
• 1 tablespoon Cabot Salted Butter
• 3/4 cup chopped onion
• 1 1/4 cups Arborio rice
• 2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
• 4 ounces Cabot 50% or 75% Reduced Fat Cheddar, grated (about 1 cup)
• 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
• Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. In large saucepan, bring broth and thyme to simmer; add shrimp, return to simmer and cook until shrimp are just firm, about 2 minutes. With slotted spoon, transfer shrimp to bowl, setting broth aside. Fill bowl with cold water to cool shrimp, then drain, peel and set aside.
2. In large pot, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until tender, about 3 minutes. Add rice and stir for two minutes longer.
3. Add 1/2 cup of warm broth, adjusting heat to maintain gentle simmer and stirring often. When broth is all absorbed add another 1/2 cup, repeating until all broth is used (cooking time will be about 20 minutes total). Rice should still be slightly firm but not crunchy in center; add hot water a half cup at a time if rice needs further cooking.
4. Stir in corn and reserved shrimp; stir until heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir in cheese and parsley and season with pepper.
Recipe note: Cooking the unpeeled shrimp in the chicken broth adds great flavor, but for a quicker version you can purchase peeled cooked shrimp and make the risotto with plain chicken broth heated with they thyme.
Calories 369 , Total Fat 6g , Saturated Fat 2g , Sodium 943mg , Carbohydrates 54g , Dietary Fiber 3g , Protein 25g , Calcium 150mg
Recipe courtesy of Cabot Creamery Cooperative