BEEF AND BROCCOLI RISOTTO
Yield: Makes 4 servings.
• 3/4 pound beef sirloin, cut into strips
• garlic salt and ground black pepper
• 1 1/2 cups fresh broccoli flowerets
• 3/4 cup diced red pepper
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
• 1/2 cup chopped onion
• 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
• 1 cup uncooked U.S. arborio or medium grain rice
• 1/3 cup dry sherry
• 2 cups beef broth, divided
• 3 cups water
• 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
• 1/4 cup milk
Season beef with garlic salt and black pepper. Cook beef, broccoli and pepper in oil in large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Remove beef and vegetables; set aside.
Cook onion in butter until soft. Add rice and stir 2 to 3 minutes. Add sherry; stir until absorbed. Stir in 1 cup broth; cook, uncovered, stirring frequently, until broth is absorbed. Continue stirring and adding remaining 1 cup broth and water, allowing each cup to be absorbed before adding another, until rice is tender and mixture has a creamy consistency. It will take approximately 25 to 30 minutes.
Stir in cheese, milk and reserved beef mixture; serve immediately.
Total Fat 13g
Total Carbohydrate 41g
Dietary Fiber 2g
USA Rice Federation (www.usarice.com)