PANKO AND CHILE DUSTED CATFISH WITH TOMATO CHUTNEY AND LEMON SAUCE
• 2 pounds U.S. Farm-Raised Catfish fillets (about 1 inch thick)
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 1 cup panko* (Japanese breadcrumbs)
• Lemon Sauce (recipe follows)
• 1 tablespoon chile powder (good quality)
• Spicy Tomato Chutney (recipe follows)
• Salt and pepper
Cut each catfish fillet into three pieces. Mix the panko with chile powder and a touch of salt and pepper. Dredge catfish in panko mixture. Set aside. Heat oil to over medium-high heat. Add catfish and cook three minutes per side and then finish for two minutes in hot oven. Pool Lemon Sauce on each plate. Place catfish on top of sauce and spoon one tablespoon of Spicy Tomato Chutney onto each portion. Try serving with grits.
• 2 cups white wine
• 2 cups fish stock or clam juice
• 1 sprig thyme
• 1 tablespoon cream
• 1 shallot, finely minced
• ¼ pound butter
• Zest of two lemons
• Salt to taste
• Juice of two lemons
Combine wine with thyme, shallot, and lemon zest and juice. Reduce over heat by two-thirds. Add fish stock. Reduce liquid mixture over heat by half. Add cream. Reduce new liquid mixture over heat by half. Whisk in butter slowly. Season and place saucepan in a large, shallow pan of warm water to keep warm until ready to serve.
SPICY TOMATO CHUTNEY
• ½ cup corn oil
• 1 tablespoon mustard seed, toasted
• 4 tablespoons minced garlic
• 1 tablespoon cumin
• 4 yellow onions, finely minced
• 20 Roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped
• 4 tablespoons minced ginger
• 6 jalapeños, minced
• 3 cups packed cilantro, cleaned and coarsely chopped
• 1 tablespoon ground fenugreek seed**
In a large pot, over medium heat, fry garlic, onion, ginger, and jalapeños in oil for one minute. Add spices and continue cooking for one more minute. Add tomatoes and a dash of salt and bring to a boil. Cook for 15 minutes or until almost reduced to a coarse paste. Remove from heat and add chopped cilantro.
*Panko is available at Japanese grocery stores and markets.
**Ground fenugreek seed is a spice available in specialty grocery stores.
Courtesy of Hugh Acheson, Executive Chef, Five & Ten, Athens, Ga.
The Catfish Institute - www.catfishinstitute.com/