CRISPY CATFISH WITH KEY-LIME MUSTARD SAUCE
Suggested wine: Gundlach-Bundschu Riesling or Gewurtztraminer from California, Hogue Cellars Riesling from Washington, Chateau Ste. Michelle Dr. Loosen Riesling from Washington.
Makes 4 servings.
• 4 U.S. Farm-Raised Catfish fillets
• 1 cup clarified butter (see note)
• 1/3 pound black quinoa (substitute white quinoa, if necessary)
• 1/3 pound white quinoa
• 1 cup milk
• 6 eggs
• 2 cups flour
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 1/2 cup Gulden’s Spicy Brown Mustard
• 1/3 cup mayonnaise
• 1 Tbsp. key-lime juice or lime juice
• 1/3 cup light brown sugar
• ½ cup Coleman’s Dry Mustard
• Pinch of cayenne pepper
• For garnish: ½ bunch of chives
1. Cut each catfish fillet into 4 strips on the bias (see note); reserve.
2. Rinse quinoa thoroughly. Place in a pot and cover liberally with cold water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer and cook until tender (about 12 minutes). Drain and rinse in cold water to stop the cooking process. Drain thoroughly; reserve.
3. Beat eggs and add milk. Place flour, egg/milk mixture, and quinoa in three separate shallow pans. Season catfish strips with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour, shaking off excess. Dip in egg/milk mixture and roll in quinoa.
4. Combine all sauce ingredients; stir thoroughly; reserve.
5. Sauté quinoa-coated catfish strips in clarified butter and drain on a paper towel. Place strips diagonally on a plate and drizzle with sauce, or serve mustard sauce on the side for dipping. Garnish with chopped chives.
Bias — Cutting crosswise … not lengthwise.
Clarified butter — Melt butter completely over low heat. Remove from heat and let stand a few minutes, allowing the milk solids to settle to the bottom. Skim the butter fat from the top and strain the clear yellow liquid into a container. (Source: Joy of Cooking)
Approximate nutrition analysis (per serving):
527 calories; 32.1g fat; 321mg cholesterol; 924mg sodium; 23g carbohydrates; 1.2g fiber; 36.3g protein.
Recipe by 2000 World Catfish Festival cook-off winner Mark Militello, Mark’s Restaurants, Fla.
The Catfish Institute - www.catfishinstitute.com/